Roast Yam with Aubergine Salsa
Roast Yam with Aubergine SalsaServes/Makes: 10
- 6 to 8 yams, peeled and sliced
- 4 small onions
- large knob butter
- 3tbsp oil
For the salsa
- 2 aubergines, chopped and cooked in salt water
- 1 225g (8oz) can black beans, drained
- 110g (4oz) corn kernels, fresh frozen or canned, drained 375ml (12fl oz) chopped tomatoes
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- ½ green pepper, cored, deseeded and finely diced
- ½ red pepper, cored deseeded and finely diced
- 1 star fruit, half of it diced, half of it sliced thinly crosswise
- 2tbps vegetable oil
- 110g (40z) red wine vinegar
- hot pepper sauce to taste
- Worcestershire sauce to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- Pour the oil into a roasting tray. Scatter and roll the vegetables in the oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast the vegetables for 50 to 60 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Brush with butter before serving.
- To make the salsa, mix the beans, corn, tomatoes, onions, peppers, oil and vinegar in a bowl. Season to taste with hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Add the aubergines and the diced star fruit.
- Place the star fruit slices across the top, cover, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, to allow the flavours to blend. Serve chilled.