Pound CakeServes/Makes: 4
- 175g/6oz/3/4 butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 175g/6oz / 3/4 cup caster (superfine) sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 175g/6oz/1 1/2 Cups plain all-purpose flour
- 10m or 1/2 tbsp of baking powder
- 3 eggs
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 15m1/1 tbsp orange juice
For the SAUCE
- 450g/1lb/4 cups fresh raspberries or strawberries
- 25g/ 1oz/2 tbsp superfine caster sugar
- 15m/1 tbsp lemon juice
To make the SAUCE
- Reserve a few fruits for decoration.
- Process the remaining fruit until smooth adding the lemon juice to combine them.
- Strain and chill the sauce.
To make the CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas 4. Grease a 20cm/8in round ring tin.
- Sprinkle the base and sides lightly with sugar.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder into a bowl.
- ln a separate bowl. beat the butter until creamy. Add the remaining sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat the orange rind and juice.
- Gently fold in the flour mixture in batches, then spoon the batter into the prepared tin and tap gently to release any air bubbles. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top of the cake is golden and springs back when pressed with the finger.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn it out on to a wire rack and leave to cool for a further 30 minutes.
- Serve warm slices with a little of the fruit sauce. Decorate with the reserved fruit.