Mango SorbetServes/Makes: 4
- 2 large ripe mangoes
- 3 to 4tbsp lime juice (this will probably need 2 or 3 limes)
- 50g (2oz) granulated sugar
- 2 medium egg whites
- 150ml (5fl oz) water
- Turn the freezer to rapid-freeze at least 1 hour before beginning to make the sorbet.
- Peel the mangoes, and dice the flesh. Blend the flesh in a food processor to form a smooth puree, add the juice of the limes, and blend for 1 minute. Pour the puree into a bowl.
- Put the sugar and water in a heavy-based saucepan. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, and boil steadily for 5 minutes or until a light syrup is formed. Cook slightly, then stir into the mango puree.
- Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks are formed, then stir into the mango mixture. Pour into a freezer-safe container, and freeze for 1 hour.
- Stir the mango mixture to break up any ice crystals. Return to the freezer, and freeze for 1 hour more.
- Repeat the stirring and freezing once more, then leave in the freezer for 2 hours or until frozen.
- Serve in scoops.