Jamaican Hard Dough Bread
Jamaican Hard Dough BreadServes/Makes: 4
- 1lb flour
- 3tbsp butter
- 1tsp sugar
- 2tsp instant dry yeast
- 1 cup water
- 2tsp salt
- 1 egg white
- Mix flour, yeast, sugar and salt together.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and rub into the flour mixture using a dough blender (or, if you don’t have one, your fingers). Knead dough for about 10 minutes until the mixture is like elastic.
- Put the dough in a greased bowl, and cover with a damp towel for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- Turn the dough out of the bowel onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough out into a rectangle. Tightly roll it up and place in a greased baking pan. If the roll is a little longer than the pan, push in the ends of the roll to shorten it. Leave the dough in the pan for 30 minutes.
- Beat the egg white, and brush the bread with it.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the bread is brown.