Fried PlantainServes/Makes: 4
- 2 green plantains
- 1 yellow plantain
- 1 small onion, very thinly sliced
- ½ clove garlic, crushed
- cayenne pepper for sprinkling
- salt for sprinkling
- 3tbsp vegetable oil
- Peel one green plantain and cut into wafer-thin rounds, preferably using a swivel-headed potato peeler.
- Heat 1tbsp of oil in a large frying pan and fry the plantain slices for 2 to 3 minutes until golden, turning occasionally. Transfer them to a plate lined with kitchen paper, and keep warm.
- Coarsely grate the remaining green plantain, and mix with the onion. Heat a further 1tbsp of oil in the pan.
- Fry the grated plantain and onion mixture for 2 to 3 minutes until golden, turning occasionally. Transfer to the plate with the plantain slices.
- Peel the yellow plantain, and cut it into small chunks. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper. Heat the remaining oil, and fry the yellow plantain with the garlic for 4 to 5 minutes until brown. Drain, and sprinkle with salt.
- Arrange all the plantain mixtures in a warm serving dish.