Callaloo StewServes/Makes: 6
- 225g (½lb) dasheen leaves or 450g (1lb) fresh dasheen or spinach
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fresh chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 100 to 125g (4oz) okra, trimmed and sliced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 750ml (1¼pt) chicken stock
- 300ml (½pt) coconut milk
- 40g (1½oz) butter or margarine
- dash hot pepper sauce
- black pepper
- Wash the dasheen or spinach, drain and shred.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden.
- Add the chili pepper, okra and thyme, and cook for 5 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the dasheen or spinach, and cook for 3 minutes, turning them in the pan to ensure they are evenly cooked.
- Pour the stock and coconut milk over the leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until the mixture has heated through.
- Stir in the pepper sauce, taste, and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Serve on its own in warmed soup bowls.