Ackee and Salt Cod
Ackee and Salt CodServes/Makes: 6-8
- 450g (1lb) salted cod
- 540g (1lb 3oz) can ackee or 4 ripe ackee
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 225g (8oz) ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 1tsp ground allspice
- black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 25ml (1fl oz) vegetable oil
- Place the salted cod in a large bowl of cold water.
- Leave for at least 24 hours, changing the water at least 6 times.
- Rinse the cod thoroughly.
- When ready to cook the cod, place it in a saucepan and cover it with cold water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Flake it.
- If using canned ackee, drain it when you are ready to cook. If using fresh ackee, discard the seeds and pink membrane, and wash the ackee thoroughly.
- Put the ackee in a medium saucepan. Cover it with water, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain and reserve.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic. When they are softened a little, add the thyme, tomato, chili and allspice. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the flaked fish, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the ackee. Cook for another 5 to 8 minutes, stirring carefully so as not to crush the ackee.
- Season to taste with the pepper, and sprinkle with the spring onion.
Serve with fried dumplings or boiled green bananas.