Who said...? Words of Wisdom: match the quote with the person
Person: Haile Selassie, Nina Simone, Kwame Nkrumah, Nelson Mandela, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Claudia Jones.
1) ‘I learned that courage was not the absence of fear but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers his fear.’
2) ‘Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.’
3) ‘An artist's duty, as far as I'm concerned, is to reflect the times.’
4) ‘Leadership does not mean domination. The world is always well supplied with people who wish to rule and dominate others.’
5) ‘I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me.’
6) ‘Loving your child also means respecting him as a person. Treat him with the same courtesy as would a friend.’
7) ‘Each person must live their life as a model for others.’
Innovators, Pioneers & Firsts
1) First woman of African American heritage to win an Oscar in 1940?
2) Arnaldo Tamayo Méndez was the first man of African (and Cuban) heritage to do what in 1980?
3) First woman PM in the Caribbean?
4) Which barber shop comedy became the first Black British sitcom?
5) A contemporary musician with 250m sales, 9 Grammy Awards, 13 American Music Awards, 12 Billboard Music Awards, and six Guinness World Records...who is she?
6) Who is the most nominated black male actor at the Oscars (at a whopping 8 times)?
7) African American author of Beloved who won the Nobel Prize for Literature?
8) The first black British footballer to score a hattrick for England, in a 9-0 victory over Luxembourg (!) and still holds Watford’s records for the most goals in their club history?
9) London’s first black bus driver (see article)?
10) The first grime album in history to reach no. 1 in the album charts?
Answers: Words of Wisdom 1) Nelson Mandela; 2) MLK; 3) Nina Simone; 4) Haile Selassie; 5) Kwame Nkrumah, first PM of Ghana; 6) Claudia Jones; 7) Rosa Parks. Innovators & Firsts: 1) Hattie McDaniel; 2) enter space; 3) Dame Mary Eugenia Charles, Dominica, 1980-1995 4) Desmond’s; 5) Rihanna; 6) Denzil Washington; 7) Toni Morrison; 8) Luther Blissett; 9) Joseph Clough; 10) Gang Signs & Prayer by Stormzy.